Celebrating the Visitation

Today is day to listen to the story of women. In the #Catholic tradition it is known as the Feast of the Visitation celebrating the account from Luke's Gospel of the meeting of Mary and Elizabeth.

Visitation by Jacob Epstein

 On this day I invite #brisbane friends who may be in the city to visit the wonderful Visitation sculpture in the lower garden of the Queensland Art Gallery/Gallery of Modern Art at Southbank.

"In 1926 in Epping Forest I modelled a life-size figure which I intended for a group to be called “The Visitation”. I can recall with pleasure how this figure looked in my little hut which I used as a studio. I should have liked it to stand amongst trees on a knoll overlooking Monk Wood. This figure stands with folded hands, and expresses a humility so profound as to shame the beholder who comes to my sculpture expecting rhetoric or splendour of gesture.... When I exhibited the work at the Leicester Galleries, wishing to avoid controversy, I called it “A Study”. By this disguise I succeeded for once in evading the critics, always ready to bay and snap at a work. A subscription was raised to purchase it, and I recall that Richard Wyndham gave the proceeds of an exhibition he was holding of his own work towards its purchase for the Tate Gallery."

— Epstein

Reading Luke 1:39–56 Ecologically

Elaine Wainwright   /   Dec 1, 2016

Through a close reading of Luke 1:39-56 ELAINE WAINWRIGHT draws attention to the ecological context of the meeting of the pregnant women, Mary and Elizabeth.


Comments