Edward Cardinal Cassidy RIP

 

Edward, Cardinal Cassidy passed away on 10 April 2021 after a distinguished life of service to religion and the International community.

As a photographer I met the Cardinal in 2006 at  the National Aboriginal and Torres StraitIslander Catholic Assembly. It is an honour to share these images from that event.

 Edward Idris Cassidy AC (5 July 1924 – 10 April 2021) was an Australian Roman Catholic cardinal priest. He was the President Emeritus of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. He headed the Commission of the Holy See for Religious Relations with the Jews. He was made a cardinal on 28 June 1991, and  spent most of his career in the diplomatic service of the Holy See. (Source)

In a wonderful Aussie online tribute on the Facebook page of Archbishop Anthony Fisher one poster wrote:  RIP Cardinal Hopalong. He will forever be remembered in Woy Woy parish (Broken Bay Diocese) as he blessed the bells in the bell tower of our then new church years ago. He is remembered on a plaque attesting to that fact.


The Parramatta High old boy and broke the mould of the young seminarians of his era having divorced parents and no official Catholic education. 

Jordan Gratham produced a great interview with Edward Cassidy in 2017 which featured in Catholic Outlook

In 2004, he created controversy with his comment that Dominus Iesus, the conservative declaration issued by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) did not faithfully represent the Catholic Church's position on ecumenism and inter-religious dialogue.









"If on judgement day the Lord asks [me] what [I] did, if nothing else, [I] can say that [I] signed the Joint Declaration on the Doctrineof Justification."

 – Cardinal Edward Idris Cassidy, as reported in LutheranWorld Information (1999-10-29): “Joint Declaration” is a “peace document”

Comments

Unknown said…
It's clear Cardinal Cassidy has enjoyed a distinguished career. I read one priest whom I worked with for 12 months praised his achievements, while a seminarian in Rome during the 1970's stated he did not endear himself with many Aussie seminarians.

I recall seeing Cardinal Cassidy at the conclusion of a midweek mass at Sydney's St Mary's Cathedral in the late 1990's. I was dressed in a suit as was Cassidy. After mass he walked passed me. I recognised him and nodded my head in acknowledgement of his status in the church. He stopped and asked, "Have we met before?". I replied; "no". He said nothing more and walk out of the cathedral. Sadly, his response was a little off putting.
Unknown said…
It's clear Cardinal Cassidy has enjoyed a distinguished career. One priest whom I worked with for 12 months praised his achievements, while a seminarian in Rome stated he did not endear himself with many Aussie seminarians during the 1970's.

I recall seeing Cardinal Cassidy at the conclusion of a midweek mass at Sydney's St Mary's Cathedral in the late 1990's. I was dressed in a suit as was Cassidy. After mass he walked passed me. I recognised him and nodded my head in acknowledgement of his status in the church. He stopped and asked, "Have we met before?". I replied; "no". The cardinal said nothing more and walk out of the cathedral. Sadly, his response was a little off putting.