World Day of the Sick 2021

 

Belonging to a religion can  provide a perspective that challenges the neoliberal worldview. Feastdays and other significant celebrations take us into relationships  and encounters with those who are often pushed to the margins of neglect and silence. 

February 11 is World Day of the Sick, an observation started by Pope John Paul II as a way for believers to offer prayers for those suffering from illnesses. The day coincides with the commemoration of Our Lady of Lourdes.

Resources: https://www.chausa.org/prayers/world-day-of-the-sick

People around the world take the time to pray for the sick and for those who work very hard to alleviate the sufferings of the sick on this day. Faith organisations mark this day especially to provide the sick with medicines, food, and spiritual guidance.

Pope John Paul II initiated the day in 1992 to encourage people to pray for those who suffer from illness and for their caregivers. The Pope himself had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s a year before, in 1991, and it is considered that his own illness was impetus for his designation of the day.

Pope Benedict XVI also declared his decision to resign from his post as the Pope on this day in 2013. He cited his failing health as the reason behind his decision.

I celebrate this day as a patient receiving care,  medical and pastoral support in a hospital setting. This experience has given  me  a heightened awareness of the grace that comes in seeking and providing support to those who live with injury and illness. 

On this day I also acknowledge the kindness of family and friends whose visits, flowers, Tim Tams and online messages have lifted my spirits. I am in awe of the gentle hands that have given me personal physical care when my mobility has been restricted. I sit in wonder in my physio sessions inspired by the determination of those who carry more physical injury than my fractured ankle. 

May each of us take a moment of prayerful thanks today for all who support our hospitals, clinics, a d medical facilities. Let us work for just and accessible health-care.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Tony, a friend sent me to your page. I have recently renewed my Catholic faith. I am a keen social change activist and would like to see reform in the Church. Do you know any avenues in which I can achieve this.