Holy Week Musical Memories

If you thought Christmas had a pretty good musical backing just remember that Holy Week brings out everything from classics to contemporary.
You can chant Gregorian or swoon to Handel.
You can hear haunting a cappella or full choral SATB settings of hymns.
During this week I will feature some of the music that has provided a backing track to my celebration of Holy Week over the past 71 years.

For Palm Sunday we begin with a classic "folkie" that was in my strumming repertoire as a young musician.


For Monday of Holy Week I offer the haunting Sydney Carter tune, Said Judas to Mary.


Taize Music For Tuesday



Tenebrae on Spy Wednesday



For Holy Thursday I share An Upper Room, a hymn that stretches our theological imagination.
"For service too is sacrament."


For Good Friday I have chosen a song that never featured in my Holy Week collection but has become quite significant in recent years. The Old Rugged Cross is traditionally sung at funerals of First Nations peoples in Australia


Holy Saturday Exodus 15:1-18


Our Easter


Comments