Images That Open Your Eyes


In the autobiographical fragments of Mary Ward’s retreat writing, it is delightful to find out how she addresses God. Hers is in an all-inclusive way and it speaks to her image of God. 
O parent of parents and friend of all friends, thy intent inthus disposing was different from those: for here – without entreaty thou tookest me into thy care, and by degrees led me from all else that at length I might see, and settle my love on thee…[1]
Inspired by Mary, I am drawn to sayJesus’words to the disciples out aloud; this time with her wonderful way of addressing God at the beginning.  Praying with these archetypal images of Divine friend and parent before me seems simple but also helpful in a way as it adds a freshness to the Gospel passage. It draws me closer to my God of love, wisdom and protection.

Comments