Christmas Day 2023 The First Day of Christmas


Mark Knight The Herald Sun
There are quite a few things I really like about Catholicism.
 It has nurtured in me a love of theatre and ritual in my life. The cycle of religious festivals with appropriate colours, symbols and texts provide a rich stimulus to imagination as well as feeding the never ending questions of life. 

Christmas is, without doubt far more exciting than Easter. I know the liturgical police and the theological prudes will chase me through the corridors of fidelity for uttering such a heresy. But, let’s face it, cribs, carols, trees, candy cane and the spirit, if not the presence of St Nick all work together to provide a lot more excitement than an empty tomb. And we get 12 days to celebrate as well. I always use this as an excuse for sending Christmas Cards right up until January 6th. Wish someone would tell Australia Post about the 12 Days deal so we could continue using the Christmas stamps after December 31st

So, on this first day of Christmas I will share  some of the images of the Nativity that have inspired me:



Nativity by Miree



The Way to Bethlehem Silman  Mansour




“Jesus has Two Daddies” (2011) by Andrew Craig Williams



So, I hope you are blest with friendship, compassion and solidarity with vulnerable people  on the 12 days of Christmas which take us into the New Year with our commitment to joy and peace

Read each of the 12 Days of Christmas from here.

Comments