Mannar Catholic Bishop Rayappu Joseph Resigns

The Catholic Justice & Peace Commission of the Archdiocese of Brisbane pays tribute to Bishop Rayappu Joseph of the Diocese of Mannar in the north of Sri Lanka whose resignation was accepted by the Holy Father on 14 January 2015.

Bishop Joseph exposed himself to serious danger repeatedly when he publicly spoke out calling for justice for the many members of his Tamil flock who were killed during the bloody civil war which ended in 2009.

The Commission's Executive Officer, Peter Arndt, met with Bishop Joseph in 2012 when Catholic Justice & Peace workers visited his Diocese. Bishop Joseph fell very ill last year. 

An Apostolic Administrator has been appointed for the Diocese of Mannar. Bishop Joseph, we thank you for your courage and deep commitment to the Gospel. We pray for you and ask that our loving God surrounds you  with love and peace

I am called a controversial Bishop because there are ‘controversial’ issues taking place and when I speak on those issues I turned to be ‘controversial If I speak out, I am an ‘outspoken Bishop’. 

If I care for the poor and fight for justice, I am an anti Sri Lankan, a LTTE or a separatist. So, what am I to do? I care less about these names, but I will keep voicing against injustice and fight against human rights violations. Interview text 5 August 2012

Bishop Joseph Archives Sri Lanka Briefs

Sri Lanka row over Catholic letter on human rights 6 March 2012

Comments