A Limerick for Archbishop Hart

One of the quirky observations I made at St Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne some years ago was  that the official portrait of Archbishop Denis Hart with Pope John Paul II  mounted under a bright 'Exit" sign.

"Exit" seems to be the Archbishops preferred term for gay people working in the Church. His most recent contribution to the public debate about marriage equality is a threat to sack same sex couples who might marry should the legislation be passed by Parliament.

To commemorate this public announcement I have added to my collection of episcopal limericks:




There is an Archbishop called Hart
Who says being gay isn't smart
If you marry one day
He'll block all your pay
That's an act of man with no heart


Back in 2015  the Archbishop featured  in The Age, where he   weighed in about the "gay lifestyle": Catholic Archbishop warned against "tolerating" gay students" . The photo of the Archbishop in this article had him  looking to the left  Hope springs eternal!!

I find the weasal words of "gay lifestyle" used by Archbishop Hart pretty meaningless. My lifestyle includes, catching public transport, going to work, catching up with friends, praying, and a host of mundane activities like hanging out the washing.Much of my lifestyle is pretty similar I imagine to a "non-gay lifestyle"And like Archbishop Hart I love a good dose of pomp and circumstance. Does that suggest the Archbishop may be taking a plunge into the "gay lifestyle"?

As a life member of  St. Joseph's Old Collegians Association​ I applauded  the decision of Paul Tobias and the College community to sign up to the Safe Schools Coalition. As a young gay student  in the late 60s I lived with the frightening silence and isolation that can haunt a young person coming to terms with sexuality. The culture of my local and faith community lacked the language of support that I needed.In recent years I have been welcomed back to SJC to tell my story to a new generation of young men who have a healthy respect for diversity among their peers

Again in 2017 it is worth remembering the  call from Professor Peter Norden for the Catholic Church to develop a positive understanding of sexuality.

The original text for this post was published on the feast of the androgynous St Wilgefortis


Comments