Easter Downunder

I set myself a challenge to see if I could find a suitable Australian image of the resurrection. Rosemary Crumlin  has some good references in her Images of Religion in Australian Art. 


A few images also appear when you do a search among entries for the Blake Prize.


However, it was a Google Search that led me to Victor Morrison's The Resurrection of Christ. Not only did I find a great image, I also discovered a story of parish censorship and intrigue. 


It seems that two works of Morrison's were not only installed but blessed for St Bede's Parish in Braidwood. (Don't fret dear reader, I too had to resort to Google Maps to find Braidwod.) As recently as last year it seems the parish council acceded to the complaints of some parishioners and had the works removed. To where? Aha, therein lies another story which has yet to be posted online. And dare I say  the moral of this story can serve as a warning to the pro-democracy movement within the pews of Catholicism.


However, thanks to the wonders of the internet the parish of St Bede's still features a photo of their local Church with "The Resurrection of Christ" hanging nicely to the left of the Sanctuary. 


The removal of this work now begs the question: What has happened to the space where the Morrison picture was hanging? Should I sponsor a competition for the first reader to submit an updated image from the Church to solve this mystery of faith? As we await the latest image, you might like to use the comment box to submit your suggestion? Any votes for a nice big Divine Mercy pic?

Comments