Sunday, May 18, 2008

Look What They've Done to My Church, Ma!!

Today's Cath News service includes an item headed "BIngle style bling for Benedict"

I urge you to read the item and see if you share my disgust, dismay and distress at the inappropriate expenditure on liturgical vessels for the Pope during WYD 2008.

This story will do nothing to announce the "Good News" of Jesus. It is about power, status and the betrayal of the Gospel. Once again as Brian so rightly points out: "They don't get it'!!!

Did Cardinal Pell think to ask Mr Cerrone and the private benefactor to also contribute an equal amount of money to a program for homeless young people as a fitting tribute for World Youth Day?

I hope the ghost of St Laurence the Deacon haunts everyone involved in this inappropriate expenditure. Laurence presented the poor, sick, orphans and the widows when he was asked to hand over the treasures of the Church.

I cringe with embarrassment at this public face of my Church which courts the partnership of "society" jewellers. I wonder if the Cardinal will read James 2:1-5 as he hands the precious vessels to the Pope:

My brothers and sisters, do you with your acts of favoritism really believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ? For if a person with gold rings and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and if a poor person in dirty clothes also comes in, and if you take notice of the one wearing the fine clothes and say, "Have a seat here, please," while to the one who is poor you say, "Stand there," or, "Sit at my feet," have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him? James 2:1-5
Post a Comment